Fulford battlefied under threat

Fulford blog

The Fulford Tapestry


Summary of published report

Visiting the site


Images of flood on the day of the battle

12 panoramas of the battle site


The Fulford Tapestry

All History Guide: Your guide to history on the Internet..

Finding Fulford cover

Kindle version

" .. this unusual, and yes, excellent history book.." 

"More books like this one introducing historical study in a sympathetic was are needed.."

Now in paperback

... and into its 3rd reprint!


History is.....

Keeping your eyes open....

When walking in the fields, about 10 miles from Stonehenge, I found an interesting piece of flint. It had been raining hard so the surface of the field was covered with pieces of white, washed flint.When I picked it up, it seemed to fit my hand so well.

But one caught my attention. (right)


We found the arrow (left) when looking for the battlefield at Fulford.

I took it to the city archaeologist as they need to be aware of everything that is found. (In fact everything belongs to the landowner).

It was a knapped flint used as a cutting knife or scraper.

Doing some experiments....

People wondered if it was possible for some of Harold's army to walk down to Hastings in time. There was only one way to find out, and that was to try and do it.

So I made a monks outfit and set off down the ancient road south, sleeping in the woods along the way. And the figures worked out perfectly. And I now know that you can be snug and warm with just a few layers of linen and wool, in the worst, wet, windy weather.   Read more...

We needed to check if the Vikings could have made charcoal in the few days available between the battle at Fulford and the destruction of the invaders 5 days later. So we did an experiment, and the BBC were there to record it. Read more...

Testing out the routes that could have brought Harald and his army to the battlefield. Read more


There is more to re-enacting than just getting dresses up and waving an axe about. You can test some theories and get a mush  better idea of what was possible.

This image from the English Heritage re-enactment at Battle each year, shows the archers retiring. Harold's Saxon army is along the ridge. (left)

And you need a lot of water to keep the warriors going. (right)


If you have to charge up and down the hill at Senlac, you realise what a hard job the Normans and their allies had to dislodge Harold's army from the ridge.

And discovering what it is like to be on the receiving end of a hail of (rubber tipped) arrows is exciting. The shield is excellent at stopping 95% of the missiles, but the other 5% hurt.


The Bayeux Tapestry is one of the best sources of information we have about the battle of Hastings. What if we tried to copy the style, match the threads and see how long it takes. So the Yorkshire Preface to the Bayeux Tapestry was born.

Maps, old and new, read like a story, if you know the language

Geology, old maps, topographic and models

And reading books.

There is much more writing available now than scholars could find even 20 years ago. The Internet and many projects to translate ancient writing so that we can read them.

Follow-up some other strands from the book...

Is it worth studying history?

If you want to know how and why we get into this mess - and possibly help us avoid making the same mistakes again.

Historians are detectives and need to find evidence. On each page in the book we explain where the evidence came from - Have a look at this page - near the bottom is asks 'How do we know this?'

And what about ordinary people?

History is really the story of the millions and billions of people who have gone before.


This story is about a lot of fascinating characters


There is a site devoted to saving the battlesite: The site has the story of the process that has allowed the site to be designated an access road to a Green Field, flood-plane housing estate. Visiting Fulford        Map York

And another website for the Fulford Tapestry that tells the story of the September 1066: This tells the story embroidered into the panels.

There is a blog covering these sites where you can leave questions and make comments.

The author of the content is Charles Jones - fulfordthing@gmail.com

this site does not use any cookies - so nothing is knowingly installed on your computer when browsing